- SoftBank is selling British chipmaker ARM to Nvidia for $40 billion
"Mr. Son has a number of financing options, and extremely good at raising capital. In case Softbank sees limited opportunity raising capital from the market at appropriate cost, there may be a good reason to privatize."
- Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway makes big bets on Japan
"It is quite unusual to invest in all five of the major trading houses. Is he expecting mergers or consolidations? They own a number of private companies. Can those be his target? Can lead to active private equity transactions in Japan? Interesting decision to follow."
- Warren Buffett, at 90, Still Has an Eye for a Bargain
- Job losses loom as Vanguard closes Hong Kong, Japan operations
"Looks like they are more focused on asset gathering. Might better call it as a fund operating business or asset banking business and distinguish from asset management business…"
- Takeda to sell Japan consumer health unit to Blackstone for $2B-plus: reports
"This is a good example of companies utilizing private equity funds to focus on core businesses."
- Bank of Japan declines traders' request to work from home
"This is disappointing. Rather than saying 'basically impossible', they should say 'considering a mean to make this possible'."
- KKR and Carlyle are betting on a resurgence in Japan dealmaking
"Yes, interesting times."
- Japan’s battery start-ups take the world beyond lithium ion
"This is a fascinate new area that can massively benefit the world."
- Japanese technology helps Africa fight virus
"Let's be more helpful."
- Mergers, nonbank investors key to survival for battered regional banks in Japan
"While financing regional businesses, it is essential for banks to draw pictures on regional post-COVID business structures, including mergers and consolidations, to support growth."
- Japan Short of Rescue Plans for Regional Lenders Hit by Pandemic
- Japanese bank MUFG's profit more than halves on credit-related costs
"Explains how difficult to profit from a banking business. Key should be to expand to new services, and might be to reduce total assets."