- Olympus Selling Digital-Camera Business Defeated by Smartphones
“A once king of Camara manufacturer, shifting its core business to medical equipment, aided by ValueAct. At last, corporate Japan may be seriously reviewing their businesses under appropriate governance, and private equity GPs gain important positioning in the market."
- Lim Advisors presses Nichiigakkan for extension in Bain Capital offer -letter
"Another interesting case asking for appropriate valuation."
- MUFG to permanently shutter 40% of bank branches in Japan
- Japan’s Sumitomo Mitsui Has Hiring, Acquisition Plans Overseas
- Japan Regional Banks in Extremely Tough Biz Situation
"Most presidents believe the banks will exist throughout their appointment. What's needed are longer term visions and business plans."
- Nomura seeks new growth from private equity, private debt and startups
"This direction may grow Japanese private market. Interesting."
- Japan’s megabanks estimate a collective ¥1.1tn in credit costs
"Pros is that credit oriented lending environment would be back. Cons is that current liquidity support is likely to hurt bank shareholders."
- Fir Tree Comments on JR Kyushu’s Response to Shareholder Proposals
"Don't ignore groups that are sincerely thinking about long term growth!"
- In virus-hit Japan, cabs deliver ¥32,000 steaks and boxes occupy plane seats
"Well, who would use this service…"
- Japan's central bank gets its first woman executive director in 138 years
- Bain Capital makes $1bn bet on Japan’s nursing homes
- Japan to ease investment rules to push bank-fintech marriage
"Digital banking service may not be new, but positive for those who are aiming to provide innovative new services."